Thursday, August 30, 2007

Not Again!

On Monday night we made a trip to the emergency room because I was spiking a 102 degree fever. I kept thinking, "How in the world is this happening? I've felt so much better this time!" I know I sort of explained what happened with Jack but it has a lot to do with what's happening now so I thought I'd go into more detail.


I had a classical/vertical incision with our first child, Amelia, when I had a placental abruption. It was an emergency and she was so early that the only way to do the c-section was to do it vertically. Unfortunately you always have to have c-sections once you have one done that way. When I was pregnant with Jack I went on bedrest at 26 weeks and was treated for pre-term labor. Apparently I was having symptoms of preterm labor only I did not recognize it. The contractions I had caused my uterus to rupture and Jack was born fairly healthy due to the fact that I was already at the hospital for a doctor's appointment (that's where my doctor is located) and also because my doctor is brilliant. After I was released from the hospital I started having 102+ fevers but I knew I was on antibiotics so I didn't worry too much besides I didn't like the doctor on call (long long story) so I didn't call until I knew he was off-call. The doctor I talked to said I should take some more antibiotics so she called in a prescription. I took it for two days until my doctor was back in town and I called him. He had me come in right away for some tests and admitted me to the hospital. I had an abscess somewhere in my abdomen. It wasn't related to the incision, it was way deep inside. I spent a week in the hospital on some really strong antibiotics and had to have CT scans and procedures to cure the abscess (I won't go into the details-yuck!) every day. When I finally was allowed to go home I had to come in to the doctor's office every day including weekends for a couple of weeks. The whole experience was awful. I was so depressed. I cried the entire time I was there. Jack had come home the day before I had to go back in so he and DH were on their own.


This time I kept saying that had I known how I was supposed to feel after a "normal" c-section when Jack was born; meaning one that didn't require blood transfusions etc. I would have known something was seriously wrong. I thought I was just overdoing it when I started feeling tired and blah again after feeling so good the first few days of being home. I didn't have much pain other than when the fevers would come on I would get really achy. In fact I would call the nurse whenever my head/body started hurting and I started getting dizzy and it would be 102+ every time. Anyhow, I'm doing better. I was finally able to see the babies when I was cleared for discharge. I hadn't realized how much I had missed them. They are still doing really well.

3 comments:

HLiza said...

Oh I hope things get better now! Have plenty of rest dear. I don't understand..where is Amelia? I always know about Jack but not her.

Cassie said...

Amelia passed away shortly after birth. She was born a little less than a year before Jack was born.

Flea said...

Hiya Cas, I love the new look and the tickers on top, that is just so sweet!
Great to read the girls are doing fine and that you are ok now too.
Take care, I wish I was there to help out with Jack so he and Liam can play while you guys recover and rest.
Take it slow ok.